Designed for updates, bits of undeniable wit, unasked for wisdom and story scraps.

Currently Available Books

Monday, May 9, 2011

When in doubt, start writing!

My Mythology teacher starting harping on politics again today. After 17 weeks straight of listening to her twist reality to suit her own warped opinions, I could not quite handle the stress of holding out anymore. Instead of bursting forth with my own speech of epic proportions (or turning homicidal maniac) I retrieved my notebook and started what I thought would be a character study.

Instead of that noble endeavor, I ended up writing a scene that has been bouncing around in my brain for quite some time. I'm rather fond of it, and I'm very glad I finally let myself have a go at it.

As for background, there isn't much. This is just a scrap that is half reality and half wishlist. It will be filed away on Sam (my computer) and looked at occasionally for my amusement. Sure, there's a chance it could develop into more, but only after some heavy editing. It's not entirely realistic at the moment, probably just some romantic frustration working its way free.

Without further ado;

Supply Closet Romance

Chapter 1: Crazy Girlfriends & Baseball Puns

“Oh, excuse me!” I stopped short before running into the man suddenly in front of me.
“Shh!” The noise hissed from between his teeth and he put a finger to his lips.
His reaction surprised me and I raised my head to get a better look at him. He stood a full half foot taller, but seemed to be trying to become one of the shadows that fell from the pillars that surrounded the room. His dark eyes were nervous, darting around the room and never quite resting on me.
I couldn’t help but be intrigued. I let my curiosity go in a way I generally avoided with strangers. “What the devil are you up to?”
“Shh!” he said again, “I don’t want my girlfriend to find me!”
My jaw dropped a little bit and the air rushed out of my lungs in a laugh.
He glared at me suddenly, “It’s not funny!”
I bit my lip, “Sorry. May I ask why?”
His eyes, a dark bronze I was delighted to note, were back to darting about the room. “Because she is insane.”
Despite my efforts I could feel the corner of my mouth twitching.
Somehow out of the corner of his eye, he noticed, “Not funny!”
I finally grinned, “But it is!”
His eyes flashed, really flashed, with annoyance. Then his teeth ground together, I could actually see it! Truth be told, I was paying closer attention to the details of his lips, which were quickly burned into my mind. They were only a slightly darker color than his face, but the lower was full and looked so soft. The upper was well-shaped and, though thinned by annoyance currently, seemed as though it was used to smirking. That was probably just my imagination speaking though.
Again I bit my lip, sadly unaware that I was staring at his mouth like a starving beggar.
I was equally unaware of his perusal of me. His eyes lingered on my throat, where the dragonfly pendant moved every time I swallowed. Admittedly, I had hung it directly there to draw attention. My self-denied obsession with vampires made me want to draw attention to my veins.
Anything would do, really.
Necklaces were a classic, but three-quarter sleeves and four-inch heels with capris also worked quite well. Even now as he stared there I could feel myself debating the likelihood of a vampire being here, at the convention. It seemed more likely that a female vamp would show up, but I wasn’t going to complain if she had dragged along her gloriously attractive mate.
We stood like that a few moments until a woman’s voice cut the strangely thick atmosphere like the Grim Reaper’s scythe. We both started and he moved deeper into the shadows.
He muttered a curse under his breath and scanned the crowd. I looked around with him but saw no women with Einstein hair or asylum wraps. I did see plenty of people dressed like the majestic undead. I would have laid odds that a vampire would look like a normal person in these crowds of harebrained humans.
Somewhere in the background I could hear an announcer advertising a set of workshops coming up in fifteen minutes.
I sighed, “Well, this is a terrible place to hide. Any madwoman would easily find you here.”
“Do you have a better idea?” He snapped, only glancing at me this time.
“As a matter of fact,” I smiled, “I do.”
His gorgeous eyes widened and he quickly looked at me, “Yes?”
My lips curved like the Cheshire cat’s smile, “Suivez-moi!”
He frowned. “What?”
I rolled my eyes, “Follow me!”
Ducking out of the shadows I made my way towards the side door I had observed earlier. Deftly, I weaved through the crowds, keeping my head down so as not to be recognized. I glanced behind me and saw that the young man was following me in much the same manner.
Out of the shadows I could see that he wore dark was loose jeans and a black T-shirt. I couldn’t tell what the white printing on his shirt said, but it looked like a typical screen-T. His shoulder were browad, but his torso was fit and tapered to a narrow waist. I remembered how much taller than me he had been and realized his legs were quite long. My mouth watered suddenly and I turned forward again.
I almost ran straight into a gaggle of preteen girls. I course-corrected immediately but my left shoulder brushed one. She turned to look at me and I winced. Her eyes got that really big, very anime look that I was now growing to expect.
“Oh, my, gawd!” She exclaimed.
I sped up, hoping my stranger would keep up. I could hear the girl whispering to her friends and the voices rising. We must have been almost twenty feet off when I finally heard them star shouting my name. I heard my stranger, closer to my back than I expected, mutter.
“This place is freaking crazy.”
I smiled with very little humor, but I didn’t slow. The noise was rising and I was just praying I could get the guy to the door and help him escape the coming melee. I hoped so for my own sake as well, without a protected environment and a security guard, meeting the admiring hoards was really not advisable.
Over my should I said, on the verge of breathlessness, “Almost there!”
He didn’t question my sudden rush, rather he seemed to appreciate it. I found out why as he suddenly caught up, his arm bumping mine. “Maybe we could make a run for it? I saw her!”
Even as I quickened my pace et again, I tossed a grin of him, “Some girlfriend huh?”
He pursed his lips, but not before I saw them twitch, just a little. His hands, I was surprised by how big they were, pushed at my shoulders, gently prodding me to hurry up.
When you’re surrounded so completely, it is very hard to run flat-out, but I think we were as close as we could have gotten. Above the rest of the shouts (mostly my name) I heard someone shout “Chris!”. My stranger swore and ducked lower next to me. In a last surge of ten feet we were at the door I had seen earlier.

My heart thumped in triumph as I tore it open and threw myself inside. My stranger followed directly after and I could hear the door slam shut.

In the total lack of light several impression hit me at the same time…in some cases; literally. Something large and warm knocked into me and I was slammed into what felt like a set of bars behind me. The air smelled of mold and bleach. A steady puff of cinnamon scented air kept hitting my ear. The big warm thing that had slammed into me was still pressed up against me.
I reached out my hands, trying to discover what it was. When my hands first skimmed the front of it I discovered it was also hard, without only a little give. It seemed to be covered in some sort of soft cotton fabric. As I moved my hands farther up, tying to discover how tall it was, the steady puff of air at my ear suddenly stopped. I stopped with it, worried I had set something off.

There was a sound I couldn’t quite identify somewhere in front of me. Was it a squeak or a grown? The object in front of me shifted closer.

My suspicions were rising rapidly, but as something brushed my side, very near my waist, I almost jumped straight out of my skin.
“Shh.” That sound was growing familiar.
I remembered the stranger finally and was glad for the darkness that hid my heated cheeks.
“Sorry.” I whispered. Outside the door was a cacophony of noise, but my whisper seemed loud in the small room.
“For what?” The cinnamon puffs had resumed at a slower pace, “Taking me to the supply closet? Or taking me to second base?”
I could hear the humor in his voice and I blushed harder, itching to smack him. Contradictorily, I also wanted to laugh along with him, and that really annoyed me. “Second base?” I could feel myself smirking now, “Please, that is so much better.”

“Oh,” he said in a low tone, I could almost swear I felt his lips on my forehead, “So we’re in a pickle?”

Softball in my early years had taught me enough terminology to appreciate his pun, “Dear heart, you aren’t even up to bat.”

His shoulder shook with quiet laughter, “Oh, I’m up.” Innuendo practically dripped from the last word.

I gasped in shock and then laughed out loud, “Okay! You win!”

“Hmm,” He said slowly, not giving up the game like I expected him to. “You don’t want to let me win too easily, do you?”

I felt something skim my sides again but this time I knew it was his hands. This time it was me who made that odd squeak-groan. I felt, rather than saw, his slow smile. He grasped my waist then and drew m against him I hadn’t thought it would be possible to get any closer in that closet, but he proved me wrong.

Something brushed my nose and I could smell the cinnamon more strongly now. The one thing I had been thinking of incessantly since the first moment I had seen this man, hut hadn’t even realized I was dwelling on then happened.

He kissed me.

The only thing I could think at first was how right I had been. His lips were soft. Then thought was no longer possible.
---
Well, if you like it or hate it, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment